This post is part of the Ultimate Holy Week Guide. Check out the main post–it includes a hymn playlist + lyrics, Holy Week lock screens, streaming info, and so much more! And you can opt-in to receive all the printables (including the transliterated hymns and kids activities) by e-mail. Best wishes for a blessed Holy Week!
For Parents and Servants
Before we get into this post, I want to state upfront that sometimes we try to do too much. We try to do it all. This post is to support you and to give you ideas to choose from–if you want to. The best parent in the world is the one that actually takes their kids to services–one service–ten services–it doesn’t matter! Taking your kids to Holy Week Services (however many or few you can) is the BEST thing you can do for your child. Spending time with Christ in His Father’s house is the cake. Everything else is just icing. Please don’t forget that!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Tips for Kids Fasting Holy Week
Entering into Holy Week Video (Elissa Bjeletich)
A Good Friday Excuse Note for School
A Packing List for Good Friday Services
Bright Saturday Treats
Your Child Can Fast Holy Week…
Did you know that your child can fast Holy Week, or even part of it, from a very young age? Read more.
1. Orthodox Holy Week Coloring Pages Someone saved us the trouble of googling these images ourselves, I suppose? Just right click to save and print.
2. Resurrection Eggs On the Life Your Way Blog there are clear instructions for assembling your own set of Resurrection Eggs, a great way to tell the story of Holy Week! EVEN MORE AWESOME there are printable cards that serve the same purpose, in case, like me, you don’t have time to put together the egg set this year!
3. Holy Week Memory Game (390 KB) My daughter and I created a memory game for you to use to keep your kids quiet. You can either print the image cards twice (for the littlest kids), or you can print one set of image cards and one set of title cards for your reader.
4. Good Friday Word Search (312 KB) My daughter and I created a word search for Good Friday with some of the keywords of the day.
5. Good Friday Hours Matching Game (316 KB) This mini-board game asks your child to place the events on the right hour of Good Friday. It’s still in beta, so test it out with us and see how it can be improved.
Entering into Holy Week
One of my favorite orthodox mom-writers Elissa Bjeletich created this wonderful video to help families prepare for Holy Week.
Also, make sure to check out her amazing book Blueprints for the Little Church!
Good Friday Excuse Note
I have found sometimes parents hesitate to take their children out of school for Good Friday. It’s actually one of your rights (in the U.S. at least) to ask for religious holidays off. My parents always took us out of school, and now it is–without a doubt–my favorite day of the year. If Christ is on the cross, I should be at the foot of the cross.
Here’s the very simple note I send with my children (replace the date as needed):
To Whom It May Concern:
Please excuse my child _______________________________ from school on Friday, April 14 as it is a religious holiday in our faith (Orthodox Good Friday).
Good Friday Packing List + TipsWant the printable version?
Hint! The quietest hours are 1st Hour, 3rd Hour, and 11th Hour. You won’t miss the best stuff if you go out then (and come back quickly).
You don’t have to bring this all. Choose what works for you and your kids!
Coloring Books + crayons
Orthodox Coloring Pages (also see “Activities”)
Old St. Mark Festival Books
Sketchbook + colored pencils
Pipe Cleaners (isn’t this awesome?? no mess, no noise!!)
Legos (if your kid is not a banger)
Kids needle crafts like this, this or this. (Thanks, Nihal, for the idea!)
Plenty of wipes
Change of clothes (just. in. case.)
Light blanket (for naps)
Bright Saturday Treats
For the last few years, my son has been too young to add to the day additional baking. But maybe this is the year we finally get to try one of these two amazing recipes to teach the lesson of the Resurrection.
1. Resurrection Cookies (from OrthodoxMom.com) I especially like this recipe because it takes into account that we leave for services and come back to find the finished cookies! Brilliant!!
2. Resurrection Rolls (from OrientalTrading.com)
Get the Ultimate Holy Week Guide PDF
Yes! E-mail me the Ultimate Holy Week Guide PDF!